Thursday, September 5, 2013

Week 2 - Savanna 20 Time

Week 2

Following what I thought was a great introduction to the 20 Percent Project,  I introduced the notion of blogging to my students (see short Presentation below) to give them a bit of forewarning before they'd start blogging about their project.  Not all, and in fact most, of the students haven't chosen a topic yet so I don't think they saw the value of blogging for today.

In addition, although we're teaching "Digital Natives" they're not necessarily adept at using technology or web tools.  I'm finding that I have to teach my students how to some very simple tasks, like writing in a subject for emails, how to create book marks on web browsers, and other things I find fairly simple.  In that vein, I'm anticipating that a fair number of students are not going to blog.  I'm making it mandatory, but for those truly without a smartphone or computer access at home, I guess I'll have to allow a physical journal of some type where they can document and reflect on what they're working on .

After showing the Presentation "Why Blog?" I gave them a homework assignment where they had to read and review a blog so they can familiarize themselves with what a blog might look like and what purpose it might serve.

Before moving into groups, I had students take an idea they had last week about what interests them and I had them turn them into a couple of ideas that could be a project.  This to me was the natural progression, taking an interest or passion and turning it into a project. I had each student share at least one possible idea they had so that students could join forces, borrow ideas, or discuss possible topics.

Finally, I gave the students about 30 minutes to move into groups or discuss possible topics.  I told the students that on 20 percent days, they could move around, eat, and have the freedom to let their creative juices flow--picture a poor man's Googleplex.  That was hard for me to release that time to the students.  Some of the classes had students working and researching and thinking, while others wasted time.  I guess that happens in every class, but it is something that I'm going to have to learn to deal with.  Below is a picture of some of my 11th graders working during that time.

Until next time.

Resources
Why Blog? (Google Presentation)








No comments:

Post a Comment