Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Week 11 - Learning Can Be Messy

A couple of weeks ago I had my students go outside to do talking or conversation cards.  My student teacher and I thought that it went wonderfully.  All students were talking, listening, and getting a chance to interact with students they don't normally work with.  Since my classroom is so small, I had half of the students outside.

One of the teachers comes out and said they were a little loud.  I emailed everyone in the English quad to apologize.  One teacher wrote, "No biggie.  Sometimes learning can be loud."  That really stuck with me.  Now I'm realizing that learning can be messy as well.  I like to have things in order and neat, but sometimes you just have to let it go and just roll.


On Wednesdays my classroom looks like a computer cart exploded--wires and computers everywhere.  It doesn't look great, but it's neat seeing students working.  My 5th period class actually finished earlier than I would've liked, but they get right on their computers and start pumping out their blogs.  I don't know if they are doing it because they enjoy doing or because they have to, but whatever the reason is, I like they're writing.

Today I worked with a group that is going to illicit help from all the English teachers on campus.  They are starting a letter writing campaign for our troops.  They have found an organization called, A Million Thanks.  This organization sends letters to our troops to encourage them, especially during the holidays.  We just missed the deadline for Thanksgiving, but the pair of girls will talk to all the English teachers and they are going to ask them to read a letter that they have written to their students to raise up more letter writers here on campus.

What a great way to use that 20 percent time.  Will update on how many students actually write letters to our military.  Whatever the number, 2 or 200, it's that many more than what was written before this project.  Below are the links to the girls' blogs.


No comments:

Post a Comment