Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Week 12 - You don't burn out from going too fast, but being bored going so slow

You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored.
Cliff Burton 

So in searching quotes about fast and slow, feeling like that is how my students are working on the project I found the quote above.  I think it captures the essence of how the students approach the project.

The students that are passionate about their project work, collaborate, discuss, and create.  The students not working are the ones that are bored with their project, not fired up, or just plain apathetic.  The funny thing about it though is that they chose their own projects.

One group launched their letter writing campaign by delivering letters to teachers asking them to share with their students to write a Christmas letter to soldiers abroad.  They are teaming up with a group called A Million Thanks.  

Another group created a Google Form and asked me to have my classes fill out the survey so they can have some data about the students and their health here at Savanna.

The projects got me thinking about where students should be in relation to other students.  One student is working on restoring an antique rifle.  That is a project that is going to take sometime, the finished product being the restored rifle.  Some groups have taken on projects where they review, music, food, and movies.  This is an on-going project.  So I'm wondering what the end products will be when groups are doing such disparate things.

Perhaps next week's presentations on their progress will uncover the answers that I'm seeking.

One housekeeping note, I walked all of my students using Blogger to choose "No" in "Show word verification."  I've commented on every blog this year at least once I've had to put in those cryptic codes to prove I'm not a robot.  I'm pretty sure I'm not a robot.  This will save me a lot of time and will keep what little patience I have in tact.

Thanks for reading.  Until next time.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Andy for sharing. Have passed on your reflections to a student teacher friend who needs assurance that she is not alone in meeting the challenges of teaching in a high school. Thanks for sharing for all new teachers who need a mentor to keep them feeling that they will succeed as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouraging words. Just writing this blog has been a great reflective tool for me.

    ReplyDelete